10. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school or transferring to a new school?
- We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting, sometimes when the building is empty so that it is not too overwhelming.
- We can create ‘social stories’ with/for the children if transition is likely to prove challenging
- For children starting in Reception, the Headteacher meets with all parents and their children individually in addition to planning a series of stay and play visits for children during the Summer Term, in order to help children, parents and staff get to know each other
- We liaise closely with the staff when receiving and transferring children to and from different schools, ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood
- If your child has complex needs, then an EHCP review will be used as a transition planning meeting to which we will invite staff from both schools
- Transition between year groups and key stages within the school will be dealt with as part of our annual programme of transition and handover to the next class teacher
- At any point where a child with SEND is preparing to leave our school, we would seek to arrange additional visits for the child in question to support smooth transition. Many secondary schools also run programmes specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable pupils at the end of the primary stage of education